Friday, January 22, 2010

Party & Bullshit

So it's been a good long while since I've written here. Thanks to Miss Robertson, I decided to reopen my desire to ramble on and on about the most important thing on earth to me: Music. So, here's what I got for today. Cheers.

Here are the things I'm looking forward to more than anything else:
Jan 23 - Perpetual Groove @ The Bronze Peacock
Gov't Mule show soon
Feb 23 - Akron/Family plays at a small venue on my street. Holy shit.

Here's an album review to keep myself fresh
Band: Animal Collective
Album: Fall Be Kind [EP]
Label: Domino

Animal Collective has done it again. I have never been more excited for an LP to come out than I am for their next work. Consider this a little self-conscious appetizer to your lobster tail and orgasm entree.

The EP starts off with "Graze," which is a very light, self-aware track about the creative process. It's in 2 parts, essentially, and you almost get the feel that Avey Tare, Panda Bear and Geologist are all in a room just musing over how great they are. The greatest thing is that these guys don't take themselves too seriously. The track bends into kind of a circus fare for a little bit with a catchy hook to keep things down to earth. Individually, these artists are in orbit, but together, through a system of Animal Collective checks and balances, they are able to stay grounded in what they and everyone else want to hear: something different, appealing, creative and fun.

After the loopy fun of "Graze," things drop down for a few beats to ambient sound - as if their creative warm-up calisthenics are complete and it's time to bring the main dish. The ambience leads into the 2nd track, "What Would I Want? Sky" - the meat and potatoes of this EP. I'm not exaggerating when I say that this is maybe top 2 or 3 best tracks ever recorded by Animal Collective, in my opinion. Honestly, the best thing for you to do if you are interested is not read my convoluted words on the subject, but to go check it out. There are no good videos of this song as far as I can tell, but please please do yourself a favor and go to their myspace and listen. Here's the link: http://www.myspace.com/animalcollective

*I was planning on rambling about new music you should be listening to at this point, but it's Friday and I'm in the party mood, so instead, I'm just going to post a few Friday night pump-up videos that make me happy, and I hope they do the same for all of you.





No comments:

Post a Comment